The school of Culinary Science aims to provide adequate knowledge, skill, and exposure in the field of Culinary art. Students pursuing this program will learn to exploit newly created opportunities in the culinary profession. Whether in a research kitchen for an independent restaurant, or in the product development laboratory of a leading the food company, your culinary and/or baking and pastry arts skills, coupled with a deep understanding of the chemistry, physics, and biology of foods will allow you to create food experiences that are creative, delicious, safe, and consistent.
- Develop an understanding of the scientific foundations of foods and beverages, and apply that knowledge in the design of innovative and creative sensory experiences.
- Continue to develop your culinary and baking and pastry skills by learning advanced techniques such as fermentation, sous-vide cooking, and the application of technical ingredients.
- Learn to prepare high-quality products for small- and large-scale production systems using a scientific understanding of food safety.
- Cultivate a deeper knowledge of the functionality of ingredients, while learning more about their impact through the application of sensory evaluation techniques.
- Study precision temperature cooking, culinary chemistry, dynamics of heat transfer and the physical properties of food, and the microbial ecology of food systems.
Scope & Career Opportunities
- Chefs in operations like Hotels, Resorts, International Fast Food Chains, Airline catering, Industrial and Hospital catering, Cruise liners, Cargo liners, Convention centres, bakery and confectionary houses
- Food critics
- Food Photographers
- Food research and development companies